Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Week 3

Spring Greetings 2012!

I will see you all on your day
Tuesday 5-6
Thursday 4-5
Mattoon Monday 5:00

We have been hard at work since very early this spring.  Planting in March was great, but certain things are ready and expiring very early - and we have a while yet for the hot weather goods.
The rain really helped, everything was needing a good drink.
This weeks box includes:

Red Romaine lettuce - get it before it's gone!  I have been enjoying this, its holding up nice with the heat.  I'm thinking about cooking/wilting a head and making a blended cold soup (that would be a crazy color!)
Red Sails and Black Seeded Simpson - red is always a winner, and I thought I'd try BSS lettuce again but I am not impressed.  Back to Tom Thumb next season.   I miss the little butterhead lettuce from years past.
Bok Choy - If you haven't made a stir-fry or fried rice yet, I bet this is piling up on you.  It freezes a little like celery or onions - don't cook it first.
Kale -  Try making chips if you are overloaded.  Spritz with  a little oil and salt. 
Snow / Sugar peas -just a little bag this week, but there is more to come!
Radishes - french breakfast,  last week for this variety.
Garlic Scapes - just a few, these are wonderful - simmered in a little water with your cooking vegetable, they will cook up soft with a great garlic and onion flavor. 


Coming up in the next weeks:
carrots are getting nice
sugar and snow peas
Easter egg & icicle radish
Swiss chard
onions - if I do some thinning!
beets- hopefully
cucumbers - yes I said it! I have baby ones now in the high tunnel, if all goes well!!

On a sad farm note:
We lost 11 of our chickens last week.  We now have just 2 hens and lots of chicks.
Among the fallen, was our beautiful Americana rooster.
Either a stray dog (because it killed them all and left them) or a crazy band of raccoons (not likely, but it did open the door to the henhouse.
Or possibly a mink or coyotes.
Pretty sure it was not an owl this time.
We're really clueless! :)

See you next week!!







2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your rooster/chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm sorry about your chickens/rooster! That rooster was a handsome fellow!
    Ann B.

    ReplyDelete